Friday, February 13, 2009

Motivational Quote #21



Since tomorrow is Valentine's Day and the start of the girls' winter vacation from school, I figured I would post this today. Besides, it really caught my eye this morning and considering how true it is, I couldn't wait to share it.

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing."--Dale Carnegie

I doubt I have to tell anyone who Dale Carnegie is, but some interesting facts that I didn't know about him follow:

* Carnegie was born the son of a farmer in 1888
* He attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York but found little success as an actor.
* The Dale Carnegie Course evolved when he began to teach public speaking at the YMCA where he had to live because he was unemployed and broke.

The above mentioned facts add depth and meaning to Carnegie's quote about having fun with what you do. As writers, we may not achieve the status of Stephen King, Nora Roberts, Anne Rice, or Tom Clancy, but if we're having fun doing it, why stop?

Let this fun motivate you and push you forward to help you acheive your dreams. Yes, writing is a business, but do you have to approach it seriously all the time? I don't think so. Some of the most well received pieces I've written, are ones that I've done totally for fun.

If you have fun being a writer, then do it. As Carengie says, it can help you succeed.

1 comment:

Kim Smith said...

I so totally agree! happy v day!